IRMA - Project reports
- Insect Resistant Maize for Africa (IRMA) Project End-of-Phase II Conference; Nairobi, Kenya October 28-30, 2008. Program abstract, field visits, and participants. [PDF]
- IRMA Executive Committee Meets; 2006 Project Bids Dave Poland Goodbye. [PDF]
- IRMA updates Vol. 7 no. 3, September 2006. [PDF]
- A Solid Future Annual Report 2004-2005. [Cover Page][Contents Page] [Main Pages] [PDF]
See also the two 2012 presentations on the "Overview" page.
- East African Farming Genetically Transformed Ochieng' Ogodo and Deodatus Balile, Kenya. [PDF]
- Interview with Stephen Mugo, IRMA's project coordinator in Kenya. [PDF]
- Superstition and science in the fight against stem borers. [PDF]
- Development and deployment of insect resistance maize. [PDF]
- Kenyan scientists in biotech maize field trial. [PDF]
- Participatory rural appraisal of farmers' criteria for selection of maize varieties and constraints to maize production in moist mid-altitude zone of Western Kenya. Odendo M., De Groote H., Odongo O.M. and Oucho P. 2001. [PDF]
- Assessment of Farmers' Preferences and Constraints to Maize Production in Moist Mid-Altitude Zone of Western Kenya. Odendo M., De Groote H. and Odongo O.M. 2001 [PDF]
SocioEconomics papers and presentations - IRMA 1999-2004
- Assessing the demand for insect resistant maize varieties in Kenya combining Participatory Rural Appraisal into a Geographic Information System. [PDF]
De Groote H., J. O. Okuro, C. Bett, L. Mose, M. Odendo, E. Wekesa. 2004. In: Sperling, L., J. Lancon and M. Loosvelt (Eds). 2004. Participatory Plant Breeding and Participatory Plant Genetic Resource Enhancement: An Africa-wide Exchange of Experiences. Proceedings of a workshop held in Bouaké, Ivory Coast. May 7-10, 2001. CGIAR Systemwide Program on Participatory Research and Gender Analysis. Cali, Colombia. Pp. 148-162. (International Symposium on PPB – PPGR).
Participatory plant breeding
- Identifying Farmers' Preferences for New Maize Varieties in Eastern Africa. [PDF]
De Groote H. and M. Siambi. 2005.
Paper 027 in: CIP-UPWARD. Participatory Research and Development for Sustainable Agriculture and Natural Resource Management: A Sourcebook. International Potato Center-Users' Perspectives With Agricultural Research and Development. Los Banos, Laguna, Philippines. Volume 2. Field Tested Practices in Participatory Research and Development.
Maize sector study (credit, seed, marketing, and adoption studies)
- Community-Based Maize Seed Production in Coastal Lowland Kenya. [PDF]
Chivatsi, W. S., G.M. Kamau, E.N. Wekesa, A.O. Diallo and H. De Groote
2004. In: Friesen D.K. and A. F. E. Palmer (eds.). Integrated Approaches to Higher Maize Productivity in the New Millennium. Proceedings of the 7th Eastern and Southern Africa Regional Maize Conference, Nairobi, Kenya, February 11-15, 2002. Mexico, D. F.: CIMMYT, pp. 446-451
- Adoption of Maize Technologies in East Africa - What Happened to Africa's Emerging Maize Revolution? [PDF]
De Groote H., C. Doss, S. D. Lyimo and W. Mwangi. 2002. Paper presented at the FASID Forum V, “Green Revolution in Asia and its Transferability to Africa”, Tokyo, December 8-10, 2002.
- Review Of Maize Marketing In Kenya: Implementation And Impact Of Liberalization, 1989-1999. [PDF]
Wangia C., S. Wangia and H. De Groote. 2004. In: Friesen D.K. and A. F. E. Palmer (eds.). Integrated Approaches to Higher Maize Productivity in the New Millennium. Proceedings of the 7th Eastern and Southern Africa Regional Maize Conference, Nairobi, Kenya, February 11-15, 2002. Mexico, D. F.: CIMMYT, pp. 10-20.
Biotechnology, GMOs, and regulatory issues
- Global Trends in Agricultural Biotechnology and CIMMYT's Biotechnology Program. [PDF]
De Groote H., D. Hoisington, S. Mugo, and D. Friesen. 2001. Paper presented at the seminar “Kenya and Global Genetic Revolution: Towards a Systematic Biosafety Regime”, organized by the Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology and the African Center for Technology Studies (ACTS). Nairobi, October 30, 2001.
- Consumer awareness and attitudes toward GM foods in Kenya. [PDF]
Kimenju S., H. De Groote, J. Karugia, S. Mbogoh and D. Poland. 2004. IRMA working paper 2004-01.
- Advances in Developing Insect Resistant Maize Varieties for Kenya within the Insect Resistant Maize For Africa (IRMA) Project. [PDF]
Mugo S., H. De Groote, J. Songa, M. Mulaa, B. Odhiambo, C. Taracha, D. Bergvinson, D. Hoisington, and M. Gethi. 2004.
A. F. E. Palmer (eds.). Integrated Approaches to Higher Maize Productivity in the New Millennium. Proceedings of the 7th Eastern and Southern Africa &Regional Maize Conference, Nairobi, Kenya, February 11-15, 2002. Mexico, D. F.: CIMMYT, pp. 31-37.
- Insect Resistant Maize for Africa (IRMA) Project: An overview. [PDF]
Mugo S., J. Songa, H. DeGroote and D. Hoisington. 2002. Paper presented at the symposium “Perspectives on the Evolving Role of Private/Public Collaborations in Agricultural Research”, organized by the Syngenta Foundation for Sustainable Agriculture, Washington, DC, US, June 25, 2002.
- Assessing the Benefits and Risks of GE Crops: Evidence from the Insect Resistant Maize for Africa Project. [PDF]
- Maize yield losses from stem borers in Kenya. [PDF]
De Groote H. 2002. Insect Science and its Application, 22 (2): 89-96.
- Can genetically modified plants help developing countries to fight hunger and poverty? [PDF]
- Socio-Economic, Ecological and Policy Impact Assessment in the Introduction of a Transgenic Staple Crop Variety to the Developing World - the Insect Resistant Maize for Africa (IRMA) Project, Kenya. [PDF]
Ely A., H. De Groote, and S. Mugo 2002.